Saturday, December 7, 2013

Too Fat to be Photographed

This year I put off our family photos. I have gained a lot of weight and was not excited to see it in pictures. I actually rescheduled the session and pushed it off for a month longer in hopes of loosing a few pounds. It didn't happen. (and now my Christmas cards will be very late.) I almost cancelled them altogether. BUT I didn't want to have a year where we didn't document how our family has grown. I usually mean the boys but this time, unfortunately, it is me too. ;) Anyway, I found this awesome article where the writer so eloquently explains why we shouldn't avoid being in front of the camera. Here are a few cute excerpts from it but if you get a chance, read the whole thing. It was just what I needed to read...

"Isn't it amazing we can see the beauty in our best friends, sisters, mothers, and aunts without the slightest thought to their flaws... but can obsess for hours on our own imperfections? We fixate on our flaws to the point we shirk at any documentation that our round faces and curvy bodies ever walked the earth. No pictures to show how we LOVE, how we laugh, how we are treasured by our families. How is it possible that a double chin can overpower the beauty of a mother cuddling her child? How does arm fat distract from the perfect shot of a spontaneous hug? I swear y'all... how is it that we can put more value on a TUMMY ROLL than the captivating way you throw yourself into a roar of laughter during a shoot?.........
.................
Can we agree to put the value of family over the value of fat? Can we just accept that the weight you've been trying to lose for 5 years might actually just be a part of what you look like... and that if this magical day does come when you're acceptably thin you'll STILL regret not having any pictures of you with your kids from ages 5-10? Can we acknowledge that the insecurities we have in our heads will never be a part of how our children, husbands, and friends see us? Can we just please let our loved ones remember the YOU they love?"

Go read the rest of Teresa's article at...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/teresa-s-porter/so-youre-feeling-too-fat-to-be-photographed_b_4351360.html

I will have to remind myself of all of this and try not to over analyze my extra chin when I am looking through our pictures deciding which ones will go on our Christmas cards. ;)

3 comments:

Hillary said...

This is all soo true! I wish now that I would have had our pictures taken with Bobby and I in them.

You are such a wonderful wife, momma, sister, and friend. No matter what you look like on the outside all we see is the Melanie on the inside and she is BEAUTIFUL!

xoxox

April said...

Melanie you are beautiful and I totally understand where you're coming from. I too have lots of extra, unwanted lbs since having Haley. All I could see in our recent family pics was that. Thank you for this wonderful reminder!

Texas Mom said...

I have always told you.... I wish you saw yourself how I and others see you. You are BEAUTIFUL... inside and out!