Tuesday, April 30, 2013


Last Monday, I had a post all set up about how busy we are right now between baseball five times a week, my dad having knee replacement surgery, I needed to take defensive driving that I had of course put off, I did damage to my car in a silly incident and my hubby is running for school board. So the whole post was about being overwhelmed with everything we had going on. I never did finish the post and never actually got it posted.
Today that post seems silly. Today I am overwhelmed in a different way. A week ago today, the day after my almost "busy" post, we nearly lost my dad. He had been doing good a week out from knee surgery. Then last Tuesday morning, thinking he was on the mend, my mom went to work and I took Carter to school and grab a few groceries. I was coming right back to hang out with my dad and help him get around. (My parents had been staying with us because they recently sold their house and haven't built a new one. They are living in their RV while they build on their new property. The RV is not the best rehabbing situation.)  Before I could get back home, my dad was calling my mom to see when one of us could get back. He was feeling weak. I was almost home, so when I got here I took his blood pressure, which wasn't too bad but wasn't too good. It was low and then high. Long story short, he said he was dizzy and weak and it wasn't getting better. My mom came home and we called his doctor. They said to come to the er and he would be admitted. So he started to walk to the car. He could only get part of the way and he had to stop and rest. Then he needed to sit down. After he got in the rocking chair on my porch, he told us he couldn't walk any further. He needed an ambulance. I ran and got the phone to call 911. As I was on the phone, he passed out against my mom. Even right now, thinking of that moment...my mom begging him to wake up, me pleading with the dispatcher to hurry and both of us crying hysterically-- it makes my stomach sick. Luckily, he did wake up but was barely able to speak or breathe. Shortly after that, the paramedics arrived. It becomes a blur for a bit after that. Once at the ER, tests were done quickly. After the cat-scan, the doctor walked in and was speechless for a minute. He said after seeing his films, he was shocked to see my dad awake and able to talk at all. He had a Saddle pulmonary embolism(apparently the worst kind) along with two other blood clots in his lungs. This also caused a mild "cardiac event." He was lucky to be alive. They started blood thinner shots in his stomach and moved him to ICU. He spent two days there and then was moved to the next level down from ICU and stayed there for two more days. They said that one side of his heart is dilated but that is normal with clots and it will take care of itself. Awesome news! Then on Saturday, he was released! PRAISE the LORD!!! He will continue on blood thinners by mouth and has to take it easy for a while but he is going to be back to normal in time. He and my mom are staying with us for a little longer so that together we can take care of him because he is still very low on energy and a little shaken by all that he has been through. That is to be expected though.
So today I am completely overwhelmed by GOD...by the power of prayer...by the love I have for my dad...by the support of our family and friends... and by the strength my mom has shown. I know that God was with us when we waited for that ambulance and I know he was and is still with us as my Dad heals. I can not explain how blessed I feel that my Daddy is still here and that it was not his time! Thanks be to GOD!!!!

Isaiah 41:10'Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

P.S. I will eventually catch up on my blogging. I miss you guys! =)


Kerry said...

Hey Melanie,
How scary for you all! You poor things; you and your mum and of course, your dad. I am so relieved to hear that he is doing much better, what a horrible thing to have happened though. I hope he has a speedy recovery! And don't worry about us, we aren't going anywhere. Lots of love to you all xoxo

April said...

What scary moments to go through! So thankful he was close to family when that happened. I will pray for his health to continue to improve.

Hillary said...

It still brings tears to my eyes to hear how scary your Dad's situation got. :(. Your Daddy is such an awesome guy. I'm so thankful that he'll be around much, much longer!! God is good!