Friday, January 21, 2011

Compassion

Our family sponsors a child through Compassion International. I love this organization! Their motto is "Releasing children from poverty through Jesus' Name." That is pretty awesome! The child we sponsor is 9 and his name is Juan Carlos. We always get excited when we get a letter from him. Recently we received two letters in one day. The first one was from Juan. The second was from his mom. It touched me so deeply to hear from her. She thanked us in her letter saying that the family Christmas gift we sent had come at just the right time since her husband had lost his job. I can only imagine what her struggles are.... How it must feel as a mom to need this help to provide the basic necessities for her children(they have 4, we only sponsor one). I can imagine the relief she must feel to know she will be getting that help each month. Compassion also sent a recent picture of her and Juan. I love the lesson we are teaching our boys with this wonderful organization. We usually have Colton read the letters to us(which have been translated for us)and we are a captive audience. It always leads us to great conversations about how fortunate we are and how good it feels to be helping Juan Carlos and his family. Juan always writes about his pets, his siblings and how he loves to play soccer. He also draws and colors cute pictures that come with his letters. These things makes him so relatable to my boys. My hope is that this small thing we do as a family will help teach my children to be compassionate in their lives. I am so glad there are organizations like Compassion out there!

Juan Carlos and his mom=)

2 comments:

Hillary said...

That was a beautiful post! He looks like such a sweet child and you brought tears to my eyes this morning!

April Westerhold said...

Love it. I would love to hear more about this organization. I think it would be a great thing for our family to do, as well. Could you send me info?

awesty2 at yahoo (dot) com

April@Party of Five
http://www.westerhold.blogspot.com